Friday, April 16, 2010

Fred, our freezer friend

Name: Fred (from the Private Selection family)
Age: 5 months
Weight: 20 pounds
Eye/Feather color: we'll never know

The day before Thanksgiving I was at Smith's Food & Drug and saw a deal where you could buy a turkey of any size and stature for $6.00. How could you pass up a deal like that? So I searched through all the turkeys to find the biggest one (why not, when they're all the same price?), and that is where I found Fred. I tossed him in the cart and continued on to checkout. About 4 different women in the store stopped me as I meandered through Smith's to let me know that it wouldn't be thawed in time for Thanksgiving. Seriously. I didn't feel like explaining to them that I was a cheap-o and had visions of how many meals we could be fed off of a 20 lb. turkey for $6 and that I was going to save it for later.

Anyway, Fred has been our freezer friend for the last 5 months and has basically become a part of our family... hence why he got a name. The freezer seems so empty without him (finally room for ice cream!!!). I kid you not that we have had turkey for lunch and dinner--and an occasional breakfast and snack-- EVERY day this week (turkey and mashed potatoes, turkey roll-ups, veggie and turkey casserole, turkey sandwiches... you name it). And we still have about 10 lbs. left. Who wants turkey??

Here's just a part of Fred:

And for kicks, here's the yummy strawberry banana trifle that we had too (awesome lighting, I know. Our camera is going downhill fast):

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Poor Fred. But happy Britt now that you can fit ice cream! And that trifle looks SOOO good!

Ryan and Kiley said...

Haha I love it! Sounds like us with our Easter Ham--- it wasn't ever frozen, but we bought a 20lb ham for Easter dinner (we were feeding 13 people...I though I did the math right). Anyway, we had ham and chicken lasagna w/ a white sauce, traditional ham and potatoes, ham sandwiches, eggs and ham, etc. I did give a good portion of it away to a family in the ward...

The Wigginton Family said...

I had a dream about you last night. It was so random. We were roommates in London and playing football outside with a bunch of people. I'll tell you more details later, but mostly, I wanted you to know I miss you so much I'm dreaming about you! Hope everything is great.