Call it what you want, but it's all the same thing and applies to me.
That's right... I'm a product of the economy. Nothing like returning to work on Monday for the first time after a 5 week leave and only 5 minutes into the morning get the call saying that my position is being eliminated. My company was bought out by another company and as soon as everything was official on October 1st, somewhere between 1500-1800 people were laid off due to both budget cuts and overlapping or eliminated positions. I'm amongst that lucky group, but at least they waited until I returned from leave to notify me.
I cried for probably a total of 3.5 minutes yesterday and then I realized that I felt more of a relief than anything. First of all, my position won't be eliminated for a couple months, and then severance kicks in; therefore, I have full salary until the middle of February. Also, a few months ago Ryan and I felt the need to start budgeting more carefully, saving a little more, stocking up our food cupboards, and not yet booking that trip in November that we really wanted to take. We feel very, very blessed that we had these promptings several months ago and followed them!
As I mentioned, I really feel slightly relieved. I have loved this job and loved the experiences it provided me with that will hopefully help springboard me into something else, but I have been itching to get out of my tiny apartment all day, every day. Not only that, but I really dislike the company we were merging with and the way they did things, and I have been dreading coming back from my leave and having to switch over to their systems, policies, and overall culture.
Also, the timing couldn't have been better (for me). The company just forked out thousands for me to get my professional HR certification, to send me to consulting conferences and workshops, and to pay for both my surgery and my leave. A few weeks later and I would have been in big trouble!
Anyway, enough about all of this. It's boring and I'm sick of thinking/talking about it. All I know is that I can't ignore the constant feeling I have that this was for the best, so I am anticipating what the near-future holds for us!!
**In the meantime, if anyone has any good HR connections, send them my way! :)
11 comments:
Dang! I'm sorry the economy sucks and that you lost your job. Hopefully there will be something better right around the corner.
WOW! What news to receive just after coming back! I'm glad you see all the positives though and I'm SURE you'll be snatched up quick; we all know you've got some serious HR talent. Sorry for the bad news though!!
First of all, I am totally jealous of your fall posts. I feel like I missed the colors in Virginia, and in Chicago they aren't as cool as in the mountains. We also haven't carved pumpkins yet :( And I love your carmel apple idea! I need a tool to make those cute little apple balls.
Second: I totally thought of you when I heard about the merger and wondered where you would land. I'm sorry to hear your job got eliminated, but there will be many great things to come. Good luck on your new adventures!!
love the title of ur post, it's funny. Good Luck, im sure something great will happen!
Sorry about your job! How great that you felt like you were being prepared, though, by budgeting, etc. and that your surgery was paid for! That's a huge blessing.
I'll keep my eyes peeled for HR jobs in Houston. Preferably within a 5 mile radius of my house.
i hope the near future for you holds a niece or nephew that i can actually see and play with whenever i wanted. just sayin. love you sis.
I'm so sorry Britt. That is way lame. But good job seeing the positives in the situation. Love you girl!
Hi Brittney! I just happened on your blog, but it looks like the timing might work out.. The university I work for (Chancellor University) offers online courses (it's a business school), and with your master's, you could always pick up classes to teach as an adjunct.. our terms start every 8 weeks, so no need to make a decision right away! If you're interested, let me know :) Hope all is well otherwise!
~Mary (Tyna) Davis
Sorry to hear this Britt!!
Guess now would be a good time for a baby...? ;)
Awwwww forget about it!..... Let's get on with Halloween PLEASE!
hey I heard the J.Crew is hiring...http://www.jcrew.com/footer/careers.jsp Just saying, New York could be an awesome place to live. :) But maybe Rachael has the idea I like a little better. :)
Post a Comment