Monday, October 4, 2010

Fall apples

I love apples. I love them so much that I usually eat at least one a day. So when the owner of the two apple trees at a house on my grandma's street put up a sign letting people know that they can pick as many apples as they'd like, I got excited and immediately informed Ryan that he had to go pick us some. Which he willingly did. My parents saw a couple bring their pick-up truck last year and filled the entire bed with apples, so we didn't feel too greedy taking a few bags full! Anyway, on Sunday after General Conference, Ryan and Brandon took out a ladder and picked us out some good apples, which made it feel more like fall than anything else we've done yet this year. People pay big bucks for these organic kind, right? Not us! Free is my favorite! Now I can make a bunch of stuff like apple pie, apple crisp... treats that I can't eat... which is probably a good thing. :)

**Note: I know this whole fruit-tree thing is not a big deal to most people, but I never grew up with fruit trees and I always LOVE getting fruit from peoples trees when I go to AZ or CA. So getting some here in Utah is kind of a big deal for me.

We even had options... green apples on the left tree, red on the right.
All these ripe, good apples that we couldn't even reach.... too bad! Also, it was about to rain, so we (read: Ryan & Brandon- I just stood and complained when they dropped a really good one and smashed it) had to move quick.
Want an apple? Why, yes I do!
I love fall! Today even felt like fall since it was in the mid-60's most of the day... I surprisingly kind of liked it!
All of our free apples. Anyone have any good apple recipes? Send them my way, please!!

1 comment:

Ryan and Kiley said...

i love fresh fruit as well!! in chicago, we don't get offers to pick free apples though, so you are lucky! i'll email you my favorite crisp recipe. the best part is that I got it from cookinglight.com, so it's a healthier version!! glad to see you are feeling better!