Thursday, January 6, 2011

Non-Adventure

I just realized the word "NON" is a big part of my life these days:

Stay-at-home-NON-mom; NON-adveture.... my life is somewhat NON-exciting these days, I guess.

Anywho...

So yesterday I spent ALL.DAY.LONG in my bedroom. It wasn't really my fault though. I have no car. It's too cold/far to walk anywhere. The apartment is already clean. Dinner was already made. Our bedroom is the warmest room in our cold apartment. And the list goes on and on and NON. Whoops... I mean on. So I spent it reading, watching t.v., making grocery lists so the concerned commenters on my last post can be at peace knowing that we do in fact eat, etc. etc. etc.

To be honest, as boring as that sounds, I was perfectly fine all day. The morning went by fast, the afternoon a little slower, but nonetheless fine. It wasn't until Ryan walked through the door when he got home from work and announced that he was going to take a shower before dinner that I realized I had been home alone all day and had absolutely no interaction with any other human being since 7am and that I was for sure NOT fine anymore. At that instant, even one more minute I had to spend by myself was a matter of life or death, really. Or so it seemed.

Ryan got a somewhat concerned look on his face and while I know he was genuinely concerned about my mental state and overall well-being at that moment, I'm sure he was also genuinely concerned about the fact that I needed 100% of his attention for the rest of the evening and that BYU's basketball game against UNLV, another ranked team, was just a few hours from tipoff. Conundrum, I know. Even I understand his concerns....

You can all see where this post is inevitably headed right now, right? Yep. The hard truth of the fact that I still REALLY need a job. (Speaking of jobs, guess how many I applied for yesterday? Zero. Do you want to know WHY I applied for zero jobs? Because I already applied for EVERY job I found in all of my searches to date, is why.)

Anyway, I am happy to report that Ryan took a shorter shower than normal, we enjoyed lovely conversation over our spaghetti dinner, then went shopping (for cars!), and finished up the evening watching the BYU Basketball game and the People's Choice Awards during commercials. Win-win. (pun not intended).

So continuing on with my non-adventure...

I had every intention of waking up early (as I have been doing every day) and working out (as I have not been doing every day). So, I woke up, got up, fueled up, geared up, and then pumped up (you still with me?) and in what was going to be my "welcome back to running!" moment of glory where I swing open my door and burst into a super easy 5 mile run (this was the "adventure" I've been alluding to), everything went wrong. My ipod died and it started snowing. And, well, that was pretty much it, but that was enough to stop me since one of my top concerns these days is slipping and re-breaking my jaw. Then I decided to resort to my at-home personal trainer, Jillian, but A) of all, I didn't want to upset the neighbor below me, and B) of all, our xbox that is our DVD player is probably the exciting new toy to the family in Lansing, Michigan that shared our moving van with us. So that's obviously not an option.

.... which brings me to this long, boring, overly-detailed, picture-less post (which you should not be upset about if you read the whole thing because I warned you that it was a NON-adventure)... because I have nothing else to do. Maybe I should stand beside freeway off-ramps holding up signs listing my talents and asking for jobs that way (cool story, huh?). I hear it's all the rage here in Columbus these days. Except given my lack of service-related talents, I don't know what my sign would say.... "stay-at-home-non-mom friend and/or babysitter and/or HR professional for hire?"

6 comments:

Kara and Kevin said...

I actually enjoyed reading your adventurous blog. :) To be honest I think alot of people go through times like this at some point. I know when I first moved to ND I didn't have a car and I felt like my life was so different and not very productive. But it got better once I made some friends and got a car after a few months. Anyways, I guess basically I just want you to know you are not alone. Hopefully you feel good, which sounds like you are or else you probably wouldn't be writing. I dont know?! :) But I feel your pain. I took a couple weeks to unpack cuz i didn't have anything to do really so I took my good ol sweet time. :) Anyways good luck with the job and car hunt and then I am sure everything will begin to be more normal. Thinking of you!!

Rachael said...

awww. I wish I was there to go shopping with you. I will be soon k. so don't get a permanent job. thanks. :)

Ryan and Kiley said...

haha been there!! you'll figure things out and in the mean time, could you find yourself in chicago to come help me clean my house and cook an amazing dinner? because i am NOT succeeding at that this week. thanks for the funny post to break up my day. come visit soon for real! :)

ps i know of an HR job in Virginia but that won't help you much :(

Kristen said...

Loved this post. You are such a good writer!
I'm sure you could find a job like the sketchy ones posted when you go to websites with ads that say, "Single mom in Houston makes 40 million dollars a day from home!" But I've never clicked on those for fear of what spam/virus it will put on my computer. But you could try it and let me know what happens.

And today is one of those days for me. Just hanging out at home. Laundry day. It makes my other days seem much more exciting. And does your downstairs neighbor stay home during the day? Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. They should expect to hear some noise, ya know?

Alyssa said...

You sound horrible! Seriously, if you need someone other than ryan to do something with this week give me a call...I'm sure Moroni can spare me...we can go shopping...or if you want to brave the cold and my injuries and my slow running you can come run/workout with me:) There is a trail right behind Moroni's house and I have a bunch of videos that can all be done as loudly as needed since no one lives below...also me and Moroni want to find a new Thai restaurant so if you and Ryan are interested....P.S. shopping right now would be mostly window shopping since I have no money...but I also like to knit and sew etc....do not be afraid to call or text!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog!!!

And I would totally hire you - I miss you every time I see your apartment!! Really missed you when Zac ended up in the hospital last week and I was scrambling for babysitters. ;) Love you guys!