Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day

This Mother's Day was so great!  I love thinking about my wonderful mom and mother-in-law and all they have done for us and helped make us what we are today.  I especially love being a mother and having their wisdom and examples to help guide me in my parenting.  I am also so grateful for all of the other "mothers" in my life: grandmas, aunts, sister, sisters-in-law, and close friends who are also such great examples and so helpful in my life.  I'm pretty lucky.

Anyway, this was definitely my best Mother's Day so far.  Ryan really put a lot of effort into making me feel special.  He started the day by giving me a few things from him and Lucy.  Lucy made me a handmade card and, with Ryan's help, a little photo album of all of the pictures with just me and her.  It was very thoughtful and totally up my ally.  I have looked at those pictures a million times today.  Then Ryan gave me a cookbook from a local restaurant that everyone raves about and a new blender!  We had a blender and used it ALL the time.  Unfortunately it was a super cheap one ($10) and burnt out after so long and I have seriously missed having one.  After opening these gifts, Ryan made me and Lucy french toast for breakfast and used my new blender to make us pineapple banana smoothies to go with it!  (Side note: since we had stake conference last Sunday, our ward made this Sunday our fast sunday, which I think is bad planning because it's the one morning that many mom's have to get spoiled with breakfast in bed and such!  Luckily I'm pregnant so I was exempt and got my yummy breakfast. :) I actually ended up not going to church though because Lucy has been so sick and doesn't seem to be getting better, so we hung out at home while Ryan went to go teach his EQ lesson.  Post-church we got to skype with all of our parents and wish our moms a happy mother's day.  Ryan then made me a super amazing meal of homemade chicken cordon bleu, homemade lion house rolls, and a yummy salad.  Honestly, he could have made me mac and cheese from a box and I would've been happy just to not cook, but this was obviously way better and now I have plenty of leftovers.  I seriously needed a break from holding the sick girlie at this point (as much as I love her, it got draining and exhausting) so I begged Ryan to let me do the dished while he watched Lucy, so he read some books and looked at pictures with her.  We ended the day with a walk outside but oh my goodness it was freezing!  We had to wear winter coats in the middle of May!  So that was short-lived and Lucy was not happy to come back inside but it was still nice to get some fresh air.  And now, Lucy has been sleeping for 2.5 hours straight, which considering the longest she has slept in the last week has been 20 minutes (not even exaggerating), this is truly a Mother's Day miracle!!  Let's hope it lasts a little longer because we're off to her 3rd doctor's appointment of the week tomorrow morning, so the more sleep for all of us the better.

If I look rough, which I do, it's because I haven't slept a wink for a week straight, thus the mismatched pjs and bags under my eyes.  I didn't even get a good picture with Lucy this day, so maybe next week?  And Lucy wouldn't stop eating at all for a picture.  Every one we took has her chomping into french toast or taking a big drink of milk. ha.  Priorities.
 This is Lucy checking out the book of pictures of us.  Also she got new sandals yesterday for summer and refused to take them off all day.  Even when I had to put socks on her cold feet, she made me put the sandals back on.  Also, she stayed in the PJ's all day long.
 At some point during the day this girl just climbed right on up into the fridge to check out the goods.  She left with a carrot. :)
Right before this picture, Lucy grabbed my knife and hit me super hard right in the eye with it.  I'm surprised I don't totally look like I had just been bawling.  
Thanks to Ryan and my family and friends for making this such a great day!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

French Toast sounds really good! :) Ryan you can come this way!
That's a really nice blender! How fun!
Haha Lucy is so funny standing in the fridge. Even better that she left with a carrott. and I like how your top shelf is stuffed and her eye level has 2 things on it haha smart

Tiffany said...

Happy Mother's Day Brittney! So fun to be going through motherhood together! :) Glad you had a good day in the midst of your lack of sleep!